Monday, March 30, 2009

Sibling Squables...We've all had them

Ok, those of you with children will appreciate my blog today. Brothers are something that I never had to deal with growing up. I have two sisters. My younger sister and I were inseparable as kids. We did everything together. We had a lot of the same friends and played a lot of the same games, toys, activities etc. Well I had less in common with my older sister, she was three and half years older than me and she was off scouting boys with her girl friends when I was still throwing my Barbie doll off the end of the boat dock to see if Barbie could swim. (Barbie’s pool was not nearly big enough.)

Well my boys are at a disadvantaged five and a half years apart. And although they love each other unconditionally, right now, I know that Alex wishes he was an only child. For some strange reason, unbeknownst to me, or Alex, Connor has gotten into his little head that Alex will take him to school on Monday mornings.

Now Alex has power lifting on certain days. On those days, Alex leaves very early in the morning and returns to the house as the rest of us are actually climbing out of bed. So SOMETIMES, Alex will ask Connor if he’d like a ride to school. The fact that Connor has a cool older brother that plays Varsity Football and Baseball; and he’s offered to drive him to school, that rates way above the yellow school bus! So Connor has now decided that this should happen every Monday regardless of Alex’s schedule.

Well this morning Alex didn’t have Power lifting due to a game this evening and Connor missed his bus ride. And let me just say….it was not pretty. When you wake a teenager that has an additional hour of sleep left, that is not a pretty site. To top that off, add to that his little brother who says, “Well he always takes me on Mondays so I didn’t hurry.”

Yup, not the right response from the ten year old.

So needless to say, chaos ensued at my house this morning. I had the older one refusing to take the younger one. I have the younger one yelling that “Alex is going to kill me once he gets me in the car!” They can be such drama queens at ten.

Finally I’d had enough. My head was killing me and I was trying to get ready for work. I didn’t need all of these theatrics before a long day at the office. Your home is supposed to be a place of rest and right now it was the Wild Kingdom and my boys were fighting for rights to king of the jungle.

I’m assuming that Alex eventually took Connor to school because when I got out of the shower Connor was gone and my house was quiet. I’ll have to check for Connor tonight to make sure Alex didn’t assault my youngest (haha). I keep asking Jared if its normal since he has a brother, and he assures me that brothers fight. Its what they do.

All I can say is, I don’t remember ever hauling off and decking one of my sisters; but then again, that was a long time ago. I might have gotten a few good swings in that I forgot about. But it was purely self-defense – I assure you!

1 comment:

Young Traveler said...

When my brother and I didn't get up on time for school, my mom would threaten to leave us at home, our absence unexcused. I always thought she was joshing, until she eventually made good on her threat.

Kids are crazy sometimes.

Also, thanks for you comment about him remembering me sometimes. You have no idea how much i needed to hear that. :)