Sunday, March 29, 2009

Its so hard to be alone - But no one should have to be

This past weekend I watched an episode of the "Dog Whisperer" with Cesar Milan. The case involved a wheelchair bound woman named, Anita Brandenburg, with a service dog named Beau.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/videos/player.html?channel=39678

This dog is amazing. He opens doors for Anita, Beau will turn lights on and off. He will even knock items off the grocery store shelf and then pick them up with his teeth and place them in the cart for her. He truly is a gifted animal. But he's more than animal to Anita. He is the only family or friend that she has. She is truly alone in this world. She is a modern day hermit in today's society. There is no one else to help her.

All of Anita's family is deceased. She doesn't belong to a church, so she has no interaction with anyone. I think that when Cesar heard her story, he was more concerned about her own self exile than about Beau's anxiety with riding the bus. He immediately made the decision that she needed to be involved with children and showing off Beau's abilities as a service dog.

Cesar's generosity towards Anita gave her the confidence that she needed to reach out to new people and begin making contacts; possibly new friends. And i hope that she was able to make some good friends to help keep her company, because the thought of her being alone, breaks my heart.

I think that we all take our friends and family for granted. I know that I do. I have two wonderful sisters that I don't tell near enough; I love you. Or my parents for that matter. No matter how mad we get at one another, for all eternity, we are family. Whether we like it or not amends need to be made because your family is your life. And we should all cherish the ones that we have.

I'm blessed to have a wonderful man in my life who I love very much; and I've waited a long time for someone like him. But the wait was well worth it because he's an amazing man, father and friend.

We don't have to be alone. You're alone if you choose to be alone. There are people all around us everyday. At church. At work. At the grocery store. All over the place. All we have to do is reach out and make that connection and someone will reach back.

I did, and I made the best friend in the world. Granted, we're separated by 1600+ miles right now, but that's only for the short term. Once I can get relocated, we'll be together permanently. But my point is, If you make that leap, someone will be there to catch you.

For Anita it was Cesar and the children. For me it was Jared. There's no telling who yours is...but he/she is out there.

4 comments:

Kristy said...

Nice post - you give me hope.

The Young Travlers Mother, Kristy

Anonymous said...

Mel, congratulations for your blog. I am sorry for my poor english, but I wanted express you that is affecting to find persons with sensitivity to others. This is you are. Thanks to technology that enables to share good feelings with people around the world.
Hopefully to be possible that Anita receives many letters and she begin to get friends.

Martha, from Lima, PerĂº.

Anonymous said...

Mel,I am sorry, again.
I should have said "she begins" and not "she begin".

Martha

aprile said...

Hi I'm trying to get in contact with Anita bradenburg as I would like to offer my friendship to her and maybe create an outlet for her loneliness . Thanks