Monday, February 16, 2009

The Pet's rule my house, what about yours?

So here we are, the beginning of a new week and let me tell you, it was very hard to crawl out of bed this morning! The sky was foggy and overcast with a hint of that crisp cold winter air that I do not want around anymore. Did Punxsutawney Phil see his shadow this year and did someone forget to tell him that I live in TEXAS! We have 70 degree weather in February not 30's and 40's. The more I stirred to wake myself up, the further the dog snuggled under the covers to keep warm. Yes, I said under the covers! This dog, God love him, has become the most SPOILED creature on earth. Jared is going to kill me once he comes back to "claim" him because I've turned this dog into a pansy!! But in all fairness, Jared has turned my cat into a possessed DEMON from HELL! And he thinks its funny. So I've decided that may its not so bad.

Blake is definitely a momma's boy. He likes to sleep right next to me, under the covers and he doesn't move all night. Of course he weighs all of 15 pounds, so its not like he takes up much room, but he's the cutest thing. But on top of the dog, I have three cats that occupy the bed as well.


There's Dodger, who I've had for about 9 years. He's the boss of the house and makes sure that everyone knows it. Its actually really funny to watch Blake and that cats play, but if Dodger gets involved, then someone is in serious trouble!! Dodger rules HIS house with an iron fist and if things get out of control, he'll make sure to put whom ever needs a good "whooping" back in line. Its actually pretty funny to watch. Dodger's a senior cat, but when he needs to, he'll chase Blake or DJ around the house and smack them around a bit. It creates hours of laughter watching these animals. Well maybe not hours, but you get the picture.

Now DJ is a special being. I've decided that he's mentally incompetent. There's just no other excuse for this stupid cat. I mean you can't help but love him because he's as sweet as they come, but then he's developed this incredibly EVIL side that I have no idea where it came from. He terrorizes everyone. Me and Sophie (my other cat) mostly. DJ, has a "special" talent. Now Jared will tell you that DJ is an Artist expressing himself. I say he's a cat that's running out of lives. DJ cannot stand for a picture/painting to be straight on my wall. So he will crawl up on furniture and bat at the pictures until they are sideways. And its obvious too. He will do it right in front of me. It drives me crazy. And there are paintings that I can't for the life of me figure out how he got to them, I think that my kids and Jared lift him up there to help him out, because they know it bothers me so much!!! He will knock things off the nightstand in the middle of the night just to wake you up, because HE is awake. He is INSANE. I've decided that when Heavenly Father chose a home for him he knew that he had to go someone that loved animals so much that they would tolerate just about anything from this nut job.

Last, is my beautiful girl Sophie. She is so sweet, but as skittish as they come. She is afraid of her own shadow. She won't go near my kids at all. She'll let me pet her, but only if its HER idea. I can't walk up to her. And I can't figure her out, because I've had Sophie since she was 6 weeks old and I got her from a friend. So I know that she wasn't abused. But what is the most precious thing about this sweet girl is her attachment to DJ. Sophie and DJ are about 3 months apart in age. And when we got Soph she had just been weened from her momma, so she was still trying to nurse. Well believe it or not she began suckling DJ's foot. And to this day, the only time Sophie purrs, is when she's "nursing" off DJ's foot, and he allows her to do it as well. It is the sweetest thing that I've ever seen. Jared didn't believe me until he saw it for himself. He was amazed at the sight and Sophie won his heart and she slowly came around to trust him as well.

So while I was trying to get out of bed this morning, I had Blake groaning under the covers and scurrying further underneath. Sophie was purring and suckling DJ's back paw. Dodger was laying on the pillow perusing the situation to make sure all the children were behaving. Satisfied that all was well, he stood up moved around a little bit, then plopped right back down and went back to sleep. His job was done for the time being.

I decided that I'd better get out of bed so that I could go to work and continue to support my brood of animals that have stolen my heart even if they drive me crazy on a daily basis. I still love them. Even if a couple are evil on occasion.

Blessings,

Mel

1 comment:

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

Great pics, you have a very nice blog! Thanks for the hockey comment today even though the Pens lost...