Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My Five Year Old Companion

You know when you take a flight and its packed to the gills with screaming kids and complaining passengers? Well I had that experience going to Seattle this past weekend. But I had the most interesting seat mate on my journey.

I was exhausted. I had stayed up all night the previous evening packing and getting my kids laundry done. So all I wanted to do was sleep. The plane ride was four and a half hours long. That would be a perfect nap to take before I reached Seattle. Jared and I had plans for going out and the last thing that I wanted to be was tired and grumpy for our date.

So I settled in ready to take a nice little snooze. Until I heard this sweet little voice…

“What your name is?” I opened one eye, not sure if I heard what I thought I heard. And I saw the biggest brown eyes on a little boy I’ve ever seen in my life. He had this cute little grin and his red ball cap was jarred slightly to the left; making his head look just a tad lopsided. But he could not have been sweeter if I added whipped cream and a cherry.

“My name is Melissa. What’s your name?” His mother was sitting right next to me and mouthed the words “I’m sorry.” I let her know it was ok and continued my conversation with my new friend.

“My name is Zachary.” But there is a shorter way to say that.”

“There is?” I said. Acting as if I had no clue what that might be.

“Yes, it’s Zach. Did you know that?”

“Well, Yes, Zach, I did know that. But I didn’t know that’s what you went by. It’s very nice to meet you.” And I offered my hand out.

He looked back at his mother and said “Is she a stranger? Can I touch her?”

I had to laugh because at this point, he had already passed the point of “Don’t Talk to Strangers” as his mother very well knew. She looked at me and smiled and then looked at little Zach.

“This time I think its okay because I’m here with you.” She told him.

“My Mom said that I can touch you.”

And at that point Little Zach shook my hand. Zach and I talked about all sorts of neat things. Like who had the cooler toys Iron Man or Batman. (Batman won) Who would win in a fight: Godzilla or Tyrannosaurus Rex. (Godzilla – but it was a close call) Zach talked about the fact that he can’t wait for the new Transformer movie to come out this summer. And how hard it is being 5 and having 4 older sisters!

WOW! He’s got a tough life!! Little Zach was heading home to Fairbanks Alaska. He had been visiting family in Louisiana. A new baby cousin had just been born. So he informed me that HE was no longer the BABY of the family. He was a big boy now.

And rightly so. Then unexpectedly, I got this wonderful declaration from a five year old little boy,

“I love you.”

I look at him. His big brown eyes all filled with hope and not a care in the world. This little angel that doesn’t have bills to worry about. He doesn’t have to worry about his kids and where he’s going to get the money to pay for their college. There’s nothing sinister about him, he doesn’t want anything from me; Just a simple little boy who met a stranger on an airplane and decided to start a conversation.

“I love you,” He said again. “Wait I said that already.” And at that moment I had an overwhelming feeling of Hope for mankind and it was all wrapped up in this small brown eyed little boy.

“I love you too.” I said back to him. And I did. I really did. It wasn’t something I just said to say. I really did love this cute little boy that made my long unbearable flight an incredible journey for me.

Zachary went on to Fairbanks and I got off in Seattle. I’ll never see him again. But I’ll also never forget him.

No comments: