Wednesday, June 17, 2009

DOT - Pure Geniuses!!!

So I'm leaving my house today...in a fairly good mood. I get to the entrance to the highway - Central Expressway (75 S) and I notice its not moving nor is the service road. Well I've no where to go, so I hop on the entrance ramp and wait my turn. I figure its an accident and I'll get through the mangled mess eventually. Boy, was I sorely mistaken - but I don't want to jump ahead to quickly.

So I decide to plug in the iPod and jam to some tunes. My car speakers start to poor out the sounds of Journey's "Greatest Hits." As I sing along to "Open Arms" I'm reminded of my childhood when the song was first released and my friends that I used to hang out with. I remember going to the skating rink and couples skating to this song. Haha, funny the things that you remember right?

Well the song ends and the next one comes on and at this point I realize that I haven't moved ONE SINGLE INCH!!!!! I look around me and see others in their cars with the same glazed over looks in their eyes, like - WTF is going on here?

I try and look around the cars to see if I can glance any emergency lights in the distance - nope - nothing - nada - a caravan of brake lights as far as the eye can see. Well this does not help my cause. I decide that Journey needs to take a pause and switch on the radio to see if I can catch a traffic report. Surely they will update the status of this monstrosity that is Central Expressway. I mean this is a main artery into downtown Dallas for goodness sake. Someone has to know what is going on!

I wait for the "Traffic on the Five" report on the news with anticipation. My palms are beginning to sweat and my heart is beating faster! I mean its like I'm back in high school and trying out for the cheer leading squad again. Will they mention 75? Will I finally find out the fate of this treacherous highway that has now had me sitting in the same spot for 20 minutes?

The Traffic comes and goes and NO MENTION of Central Expressway at all. What - are you kidding me? There has to be some mistake! OR is it? Maybe whatever happened has been cleaned up and we're going to start moving any second now.

I start to relax putting faith in the news media. I mean if there was an issue they'd let me know about it right? They know people are trying to get to work. I switchback to the iPod and crank up the volume. This time - I opt for something my upbeat - I pull out a little Madonna and Justin Timberlake! From there it just spirals out of control, REO Speed wagon, George Michael, David Cook, Dean Martin, Duffy, Eagles, Jason Mraz, Kelly Clarkson.....

WAIT...I'm still not moving!!! It's been another 30 minutes! I've only gotten about 1/2 mile and there's no where for me to go! I can't get off - the service road is packed FULL of cars! Something is seriously wrong!! I switch back to the radio - and this time - I switch to another station hunting for a traffic report...again NOTHING!!

Now - I'm Pissed! I've got thoughts going trough my head that are not so nice. I'm cursing in silence. Which I actually wonder if you curse someone out in your head - does that count as if you were to do it face to face - or out loud? I'm a little concerned about that. If so, I have a lot of repentance to work on after this morning's episode. Personal note - call the bishop for a lengthy conversation!!

I take another look around and notice the dude next to me hitting his head on the steering wheel. I laugh and he happens to look directly at me at the same time I start laughing. He does the same thing. I mean seriously people - what else can we do but laugh? We're not moving and the temperature is already 80 something degrees out at 8:45 in the morning. Ugh! Its pathetic really.

OK, I’m not going to drag this out any longer….It took me 1:45 minutes to go 2 ½ miles. And do you want to know what the issue was?? The Texas Department of Transportation decided to CLOSE down 75 S at 8am on a Wednesday morning to ONE LANE for road construction.

What engineering genius thought that up??? I mean really, did someone loose a bet and the rest the North Dallas area had to suffer for his/her wise decision? I’d just like to shake this person’s hand; because what should have been a 25 minute commute for me took me two hours this morning. It was awesome!

I’m just glad to see the bail out dollars at work Mr. President! Good Job!! Give these guys a raise – obviously they are doing a BANG UP JOB!!!!

No comments: